Thursday 19 May 2016

MUSE - Drones World Tour 2016 (Milan, 17th of May)

I've never been to a concert before, so the Drones World Tour by the English rock band Muse was my first concert ever.

It was simply EXTRAORDINARY!!!

I bought the tickets in September and I didn't manage to take the one for the parterre, but the shape of the stage - circular with two catwalks (and one of these was not so far from me) - allowed everybody to see well (also, I could take a seat if I wanted to). Together with the tickets, you could receive the album "Drones" for free, choosing the digital format or the CD.


My friend Beatrice and I arrived at the Assago Forum in Milan at 7 pm so that we could take it slow: we had to get through the controls, find the entrance and search for our seats.

At 8 pm the show of the band De Staat started and lasted about 40 minutes. Then, after 20 minutes of pause, the magic bagan: big spheres descended from the ceiling, 8 illuminated drones fluctuating in the air while you could hear the intro of the song "Drones" (played from tape)


Then Muse started to play Psycho and it was as, all of a sudden, a great energy, once imprisoned,  was released in the air and it reached every person, an energy which lasted for the entire show.

In fact, it was the turn of Reapers, another song from the latest album Drones. Then a piano appeared from the floor in the far end of the catwalk and Matthew Bellamy played Bliss (album: Origin Of Symmetry).

I really appreciated the fact that, between one song and another, one could hear guitar or bass or drums solos and some of them recalled bands like Led Zeppelin or Metallica and even the "Voodoo Child" intro by The Jimi Hendrix Experience before Supermassive Black Hole.

This was the setlist of the show:
  • Drones (intro)
  • Psycho
  • Reapers
  • Bliss (extended outro)
  • Dead inside
  • Citizen erased
  • The 2nd Law: Isolated System (shortened)
  • The Handler
  • Supermassive Black Hole ("Voodoo Child" intro)
  • Prelude
  • Starlight
  • Munich Jam (fast ending)
  • Madness
  • Map Of The Problematique
  • JFK + Defector
  • Time Is Running Out
  • Uprising (extended outro)
  • The Globalist
  • Drones (reprise)
  • Take A Bow
  • Mercy
  • Knights Of Cydonia
When they played Starlight, the whole audience sang with Bellamy


as it happened with other songs like Madness, Map Of The Problematique, Time Is Running Out, Uprising and Knights Of Cydonia, which are their most famous and loved songs.

The concert was spectacular also due to the special effects - as the spheres or the spaceship, which were drones -  and the videos shown in some transparent tarpaulins.


The rock atmosphere was the protagonist of the concert and there hadn't been a moment in which I felt bored, because of the skill of Chris Wolstenholme, Dominic Howard and the frontman Matthew Bellamy who managed to infuse strength with every single note they played.

This concert was even better than the CD: it seemed that every song was essential and wonderful and now I can't stop listeninig to it, to rediscover the same feelings and the same involvement: I can't even say what is my favourite song of the album "Drones", because I love each of them!

I'm very glad that I managed to go to the concert and I'm looking forward to seeing them playing again!


See you soon


Yours, Silvia



No comments:

Post a Comment