Thursday 28 September 2017

Let the human in - GHOST IN THE SHELL (review and interview)

  When this film was released, I wasn't interested in watching it: I didn't know the story at all (it is based on the Japanese manga of the same name by Masamune Shirow) and I remembered I didn't like Scarlett Johansson in this sci-fi kind of films (as "Lucy").
Anyway, when I saw it on iTunes, I decided to rent it and give it a shot. It is directed by Rupert Sanders and written by Jamie Moss, William Wheeler, and Ehren Kruger. It stars Scarlett Johansson, Takeshi Kitano, Michael Pitt, Pilou Asbæk, Chin Han and Juliette Binoche.

http://posterposse.com/the-poster-posse-pays-homage-to-paramounts-ghost-in-the-shell/

  Overall, I think "Ghost in the Shell" is an interesting film, because it makes one think about what we can call humanity.

  In the film, in fact, there are a lot of characters which try to better themselves by adding mechanical parts to their bodies, even unnecessary new organs: is it really helpful? This is a question that comes in one's mind, together with other ones: is it a crime killing robots? Is a cyborg human or not?

  The title of the manga and the film refers to two elements which seem opposite: the "ghost", which is a sort of "soul", the spirit of a person, and the shell, the external part, the "case". Mayor Mira Killian (Scarlett Johansson) is a prototype of what humans will be in the future: mechanical on the outside and human on the inside (with a human brain, thoughts and feelings), to be stronger and "invincible".

  Dr. Ouelet: "You're the first of your kind, but you're not invulnerable"
  Mayor: "Maybe next time you ca design me better"

  Is really humanity a limit or an opportunity? Of course, a robot is more resistant than a human being, it can do a lot of things a man can't do without using instrument or technology (as falling from a skyscraper), but what this film shows is that leaving just the brain isn't enough: what is needed is a connection with people, an aim, something to fight for, as bringing justice back into a society where "superhumans" are considered as weapons.

  Due to the fact I know that this film was based on a manga and an anime, I asked my friend Giulia who knew the franchise if there were any differences between the original versions and this film.

  Me: does the manga/anime have the same topics of the film?
Giulia: the main topics (relationship between body and soul, identity and Internet, problems of the society, turning into robots) are the same, but in the film the theme of justice is different than in the anime: in the film there is an attempt to change the order of things and also hope, while the anime is more pessimistic about this.
Also, the film doesn't consider some "background information" as Buddhism, Confucianism or the 90s Japanese society in general.

  Me: apart from the specific information about society, are there other differences in the setting?
Giulia: the setting is similar to the Japanese versions, but I didn't like some new elements of the film (as the giant holograms) and the fact that, even if it takes place in the future, there are a lot of "analogic" elements, as a lot of cables instead of  "wireless" connection.

  Me: what about the characters?
Giulia: on the outside appearance, they look like the original ones, but their behaviour is different (but we have to keep in mind that this happens in every adaptation). I noticed significant differences in the Mayor's personality: in the film, she seems very determined and serious, while in the anime she is funny and also melancholy.

  Me: I felt a little bit uncomfortable with the fact that the Major wasn't played by a Japanese actress: and you?
Giulia: if we consider the story itself, it can be plausible that the Mayor isn't Japanese. I also think that Scarlett Johansson wasn't a bad choice as protagonist, even if I didn't like her performances in other films. What I didn't like was the explanation of the past of the Major, which seem to me too close to today's politics.

-----------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoy this review/interview. I like this film, but it's not one of my favourite: I think that the themes are not so original, even if maybe in the near future we have to try to answer some questions about the real nature of robot.

Bye for now!

Yours, Silvia

p.s. Don't forget to answer my little survey on the left side of my blog and to follow my blog!!

No comments:

Post a Comment