Wednesday 1 June 2016

My impressions about "X Men - APOCALYPSE"

On Friday I watched "Alice Through The Looking Glass" (here you can find my review), while on Saturday I watched "X Men - Apocalypse".


First of all, I have to say that this time I've seen all the prequels of the X Men (when I watched The Force Awakens, instead, I'd never watched a Star Wars film before) before going to the cinema, so I already knew the characters. That's because I got to know about a new film and I was curious, so I watched the trailer and I started to see all the films, from "X Men" (2000) to "X Men - Days Of Future Past" (2014).

My favourite film is DOFP and I was not so sure if watching this brand new film would have been a good idea, especially after having seen some not-so-enthusiastic reviews. Then I decided to give it a chance and now you can read a post about it.

I agree with those who says that the characters are not so analysed as before. It's like the film is made up with a lot of stories but each of these is the top of an iceberg: the most interesting parts are not shown, yet only outlined. This happens in particular in the beginning of the film, with a focus on Apocalypse in Egypt in 3000 b. C.: the scene is quite long but it shows only a moment and there is not a full explanation of the life of the character. I think that the spectator could expect something more than a simple scene, because he doesn't know Apocalypse's way of thinking and why he acts in that way.


Moreover, some scenes seem random, as the awakening of Apocalypse itself or the moment when he meets Storm. I think these are important events, but in this film they are not as fundamental as they should be, for example the choice of Apocalypse's lieutenants.

I appreciated Professor X (James McAvoy) and Magneto (Michael Fassbender), even if they are less powerful on screen than they were in the previous episode. Even the behaviour of Magneto becomes shallow unlike the other films.


I also thought that, due to the fact that the director Bryan Singer chose to show the characters when they were younger, they would have been more idealistic and stronger but I was wrong. Some of them are a little bit useless and that's a pity because their skills and powers are great: the problem is the lack of space they have in the story and the structure of the film, composed by highlights too brief to make the public know the characters better.


I don't have anything to say about the special effects and the battle scenes, which are amazing, but I don't like the way the story is shown, especially if one considers DOFP and the consequences of this film for the whole story.

My favourite character of this film is Quicksilver (Evan Peters), who seem more mature but with the same attitude


Anyway, my favourite character ever is Nightcrawler (Alan Cumming/ Kodi Smit-McPhee)!


My vote for this film is 6/10

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


See you soon


Yours, Silvia

No comments:

Post a Comment