Wednesday 24 August 2016

A piece of history - Ditta Guenzati (Milan)


As I mentioned in my Google+ profile some time ago, I would like to write about something that happened to me on the 26th of July.

On that morning, I was on Facebook when I noticed a post in a page I follow which recounted the story of a historical shop in Milan, the oldest one, which might close after 248 years of business –sad, but true.

In this post, it was said that it was possible to go and sign a petition to help this shop not to disappear: the shop could be considered as a heritage of our culture, so it could become a historical place. There is also the online petition, but I was in Milan so I decided to go and visit the shop.

It was like to go back in the past, because I think that the shop is exactly how it could have looked like centuries ago. I think that it represents the tradition and the importance of not forgetting the path which lead us where we are today. It is like a door which shows another side of the present, a different reality, original and unique.


If you have ever seen films or TVs series set in the XIX century or even before, this is what you could discover. From the outside it seems a tiny shop, with three windows overlooking Via Mercanti (not far from Piazza Duomo in Milan), while, on the inside, you can admire this breathtaking wooden counters and shelves which contain dry goods, neckties, hats, bags, gloves, coats, umbrellas, all representing the British and Irish style.

As I said in some previous posts, I love England and I would also like to visit Ireland, so I felt very happy to find a place which connects Italy with them- and not so far from me.

If you are in Milan, look for this beautiful shop, with its special atmosphere and the kind clerks who try to keep this place as amazing as it has always been (and, if you can't, sign the petition!)


--------------------------------------------------------------
Bye for now

Yours, Silvia

No comments:

Post a Comment