Sunday 18 June 2017

GREEN DAY - Revolution Radio Tour (Monza, June, 15)

Monza, June, 15, 4 pm. I was sitting on the grass of the enormous park of Villa Reale (there is also the Autodromo in it), waiting for Green Day. This was my second concert, but my first open-air concert, surrounded by the power of the crowd.

I don't consider myself as a huge Green Day fan, because, even if I had tried to know as many of their songs as possible in the moment when I listened to 21 Guns for the first time, I put them aside: I began to listen to Hard Rock and I didn't like their new albums, which seemed to me too much Pop.

Then a friend of mine - whose name is Silvia as mine - asked me if I wanted to go to the concert with her, so I searched the latest album, Revolution Radio, and I accepted. It reminded me of 21st Century Breakdown, the first album I bought when I was 16. In particular I like three songs, Outlaws, Still Breathing and Bang Bang (and two of them had been played in the concert).


This was the set list of the event:
  • Know Your Enemy
  • Bang Bang
  • Revolution Radio
  • Holiday
  • Letterbomb
  • Boulevard of Broken Dreams
  • Longview
  • Youngblood
  • 2000 Light Years Away
  • Hitchin’ a Ride
  • When I Come Around
  • Minority
  • Are We the Waiting
  • St. Jimmy
  • Knowledge
  • Basket Case
  • She
  • King for a Day
  • Shout / Always Look on the Bright Side of Life / (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction / Careless
  • Whisper / Hey Jude
  • Still Breathing
  • Forever Now
BIS 1
  • American Idiot
  • Jesus of Suburbia
BIS 2
  • Ordinary World
  • Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
At the beginning, when they weren't on stage, a song started to play: "Bohemian Rhapsody" and all of us began to sing every word out loud, like it was a pray. Then Drunk Bunny arrived and to the strains of "Know Your Enemy" the concert began.


I was very happy when I listened to some songs I really love, which are Know Your Enemy, Bang Bang, Revolution Radio, Holiday, Letterbomb, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Basket Case, Still Breathing, Jesus Of Suburbia, but especially Are We The Waiting: when I listened to the first, I closed my eyes and I sang, smiling on the inside.
I liked also their version of Shout, (I Can Get No) Satisfaction and Hey Jude.


Beyond the songs, Billie Joe entertained the public with some thoughts, especially about politics in general and Trump; also he appreciated a lot the fact that people was not taking so many photos or recording videos, but they were living the moment. He also added it was important to spend time with other people, sharing for example the passion for music.


There had been also some "comedy sketches", as when Billie Joe stopped playing because the public wasn't screaming enough, looking around like a naughty kid, or also when Tré Cool danced while Billie Joe was playing the drums.

At the end, a storm of red and white notes filled the air


and on each one there was written the name of the band.

Now I'm looking forward to going to the next concert. In the meantime, I'm buying the cd, holding the memory of this event in my heart.
-----------------------------------------------------
Bye for now

Yours, Silvia

No comments:

Post a Comment