Wednesday 31 May 2017

A night at the opera - La Gazza Ladra

When I got to know that there was a project of my university called "Teatro alla Scala", I didn't want to waste more time and I went on the website seeking information. Basically, it was given the chance to see three operas, the first one for free (because it was a rehearsal), while for the other two one could buy a ticket at a special price. On the 7th of April "La Gazza Ladra" ("The Thieving Magpie") by Gioacchino Rossini was presented.

It was the first time in my life I went to a theatre for an opera and I was very excited. I already knew the plot because I attended a lesson where a professor (who is also a critic) of my university explained to us the life of Rossini, his works and, of course, La Gazza Ladra, telling us the names of the classical singers who would have played on the 7th of April.

I arrived at the theatre a bit earlier and it was given to me a ticket for the parterre. I remember when I entered the theatre I felt speechless: it seemed just another world, where time had stopped, where there were only beauty, art and music.


Before the opera, the director (Gabriele Salvatores) and the conductor (Riccardo Chailly) talked about this new version of La Gazza Ladra and then the show began.

This version connects the theatre and the cinema, using breathtaking "special effects" and also marionettes in precise moments of the show, mostly connected to characters' feelings.

The opera itself is very interesting, full of plot twists and round character. Love, family, justice, friendship are some of the themes of this opera and all of them are recognisable thanks to the skill of the singers, in particular Alex Esposito (who plays the father of the protagonist, Fernando Villabella), Serena Malfi (the friend of the protagonist, Pippo) and Michele Pertusi (the villain, Gottardo).

I really liked also the choral parts, because one can feel the power of feelings, positive or negative, in the air, as one could touch them.

On June 29, I'm seeing Die Entführung aus dem Serail and on July 14 La bohème, so I'll write my thoughts about them later.
--------------------------------------------------------
Bye for now,

Yours, Silvia

No comments:

Post a Comment